[vtkusers] spherebench on notebooks. a proposal

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Tue Nov 26 13:02:04 EST 2002

At 11/26/2002 04:31 AM, stefano mininel wrote:
>After a couple of questions I've seen in the list about VTK performance
>on notebooks I had another look at the web page of the sphere bench, by
>S. Barré, and to the page of the results database by R. Riviere.
>I see they are almost "forgotten" (last modified more than 1 year ago,
>it seems).

Well, maybe the reason is that we did not receive any submission for one
year ?
Maybe.
What do you think :) ?

>Well, just as a modest proposal: while VTK performance is almost
>academic for workstations, now that almost every decent video card can
>easily handle millions of polygons, this is not true for the graphic
>chipsets on notebooks.

I'm not quite sure about that. Many (most ?) laptops seem to come with
either an ATI or a Nvidia card that is more or less as powerful as a good
old GeForce2 MX. And starting January 2002, you could find laptops with
Geforce 4 Go.  Believe me, both are quite fast.