[vtkusers] Memory usage of VTK4 under Solaris

Elvis Chen anisotropic7 at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 22 11:31:37 EST 2002

greetings,

I have used VTK4/Qt3 under Solaris (SunOS 5.8) on Ultra 10 with Creator
3D.  It is a low-end machine by today's standard but nonetheless it
works just fine.  However, I have noticed that, even with a minimal VTK
program (polydatareader+mapper+actor+renderer+interactor), the memory
usage is at minimal 250MB of ram as soon as renderer/interactor is
used.  The amount of memory usage is reported by "top" command.

This occurs both in C++ and python.

Is this normal, or have I mis-configured vtk4 in any way?

thx,