[vtkusers] Problems running Java VTK on Linux, MacOS X 10.2 and Windows

Carlos Martínez Burgos cmarbur at iti.upv.es
Mon Nov 18 05:11:29 EST 2002

Hi all.

I'm using VTK on an archaeological projet to show 3D surfaces. I use the
Java wrapper to develop, building with jdk 1.3. I compile VTK with CMake
1.4.

Some days ago, I downloaded CVS version of VTK wich I have updated today.
I built it without problems (using the CMakeCache.txt attached). vtk.jar
was created but with .java files wich I removed. Then I went to
Wrapping/Java to build vtkCanvas and vtkPanel classes.

At this moment I tried to run SimpleVTK to test. I compiled it OK and when
I tried to run it but nothing was showed and the program didn't exit. Then
I tried to compile and run Regression.java and
Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Java/Cone1.java and everything wents OK so I think
that the problem is in vtkPanel or vtkCanvas, because them don't use these
files. Furthermore, if I build .cxx examples, everything is OK.

Linux: Has somebody the same problem? Do you know what can I do to solve
it?

Furthermore, I try to build VTK with Java wrapping on MacOS X 10.2. It
builds OK but I can't run it successfully. I can't run Java examples
because the program can't find the libraries. I made the .jnilib links to
.dylib files and I set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to the bin directory of VTK
build but it doesn't run.

I try to build the .cxx examples and everything is OK, but when I try to
run them the window is showed but the interaction is not good. Keys does
not function and mouse only does it using a combination of mac special key
and shift and control keys.

MacOS X: Does somebody knows how to run VTK programs using Java wrapper on
MacOS X?

I think that I could use Windows too, but I don't have Visual C++ so I
download precompiled binaries (vtkNightlyCore.exe and vtkNightlyJava.exe).
I install them and when I tried to build examples, I can't find vtk.jar
file so I think that it is not included on the distribution. This happens
to me from months ago, so I think that nobody uses this precompiled
binaries.

Windows: Could somebody add the vtk.jar file to the precompiled windows
version of VTK?

Thank you a lot and sorry for the length of the message.

Carlos Martínez Burgos      |     Instituto Tecnológico de Informática
Ingeniero Informático       |      Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Tlf: +34 963877237          |                        Camí de Vera, S/N
cmarbur at iti.upv.es          |                   46071 Valencia - Spain
www.iti.upv.es/~cmarbur     |                           www.iti.upv.es