[vtkusers] Probing unstructured point data onto an unstructured grid

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Thu Nov 14 23:19:39 EST 2002

Hi Alex,

A couple of things might work:

1. You could use either vtkShepardMethod or vtkGaussianSplatter to sample
the brick_8.ipr data onto a volume. You could then probe this volume with
the brick_8.vtk data

2. It looks like the brick_8.ipr could be topologically regular. If thats
the case, then use vtkStructuredGrid to hold your brick_8.ipr data. You
could then probe the structured grid.

Attached is what the structured grid vtk file would look like. You have to
be careful with the point order... Just use vtkStructuredGridReader instead
of vtkUnstructuredGridReader

The vtk data is outside the ipr data so it wont be able to probe anyway- I
assume the bricks are apart of a larger mesh so this wont matter (except at
the edges). The "splatting" above might let you extrapolate.

HTH

Goodwin