[vtkusers] Probing unstructured point data onto an unstructured grid

Alex Lennon alennon at tcd.ie
Thu Nov 14 06:05:15 EST 2002

Hi Prabhu,

Sorry if the mail was unclear.

>>2. The points in your brick_8.ipr do not coincide with the points in
>> brick_8.vtk.  Is this what you want?

The 'ipr' file contains the finite element integration points. These are
simply interpolated points inside a finite element at which numerical
integration is performed (this is why they do not coincide with the points
in the 'vtk' file). All quantities are calculated at these points and not at
the nodes of the element (vertices of the cell in the 'vtk' file).

>>1. brick_8.ipr defines no volumes and only points.  Probing with this
>> will only give you the values at these points.  Visualizing these
>> points will not be any fun, you'll just see a bunch of tiny coloured
>> points.  If you want to probe the volume then you need to probe with
>> another volume.

The point data in the 'ipr' file already contains the results---what I'd
like to do is to interpolate from the point data in the 'ipr' file to the
nodes of the 'vtk' file (i.e. the reverse of the above). I have written code
to do this before writing out the vtk file from my finite element
application but I would like to be able to do this when selecting different
subsets of integration points as I visualise the data (e.g. based on
material properties of the finite element model).

I tried vtkPointDataToCellData but it still gave 0's. Anyway, it's the
points making up the cell in the 'vtk' file that I would like to map the
data to. If a probe filter is not the correct way of going about this I'd
appreciate any suggestions as to what is.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Trinity Centre for Bioengineering
Dept. Mechanical Engineering