[vtkusers] multiple renderers performance

stefano mininel mininel.ml at gnbts.univ.trieste.it
Thu Nov 14 02:45:05 EST 2002

Nicolae Mihalache wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm new to vtk and I'm tring to improve the performance of some
> application :(
> I'm using vtk 3.2 + tcl and the performance problems I observe are
> related with having multiple renderers each with its own window.
> In short, what the program does is set some camera parameters and then
> call "renderX Render" where X is 1,2 or 3. If I call this function many
> times for the same renderer, the call takes about 0.07 seconds. But each
> time the renderer is changed, the call takes almost 3 seconds :(
> I tried to run this part of the application in vtk 4.0 but the
> performance seems to be the same.
> Any ideea how to improve it? Is it a limitation of the opengl
> implementation or vtk? I use a nvidia card on linux with nvidia drivers.
>
> The two renderers render in fact the same scene with the same actors but
> from different angles.
> Other ways to implement it?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicolae Mihalache

Maybe not a great idea from me ... but check the memory use with task manager (or similar
tool).
Visualization is quite RAM-hungry and if you don't have much RAM it "could" be that your
performance problem is due to page-swapping from virtual memory when you switch windows.
I hope this can be a help.

Greetings

    Stefano Mininel