[vtkusers] Creating a 3D vtkStructuredPoints with a series of bmp images

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Wed Nov 13 17:51:46 EST 2002

Thomas, try vtkImageLuminance instead of vtkImageExtractComponents  (or do you
only want one color channel???)  ......john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [24.97.130.19]

From: Thomas Deschamps <tdeschamps at lbl.gov>@public.kitware.com on 11/13/2002
02:28 PM PST

   Thomas Deschamps <tdeschamps at lbl.gov>           To:   vtkusers at public.kitware.com
                     @public.kitware.com           Cc:    (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)
                                           Subject:      [vtkusers] Creating a 3D
                                                vtkStructuredPoints with a series of bmp
                                Sent by:        images
       vtkusers-admin at public.kitware.com
                     11/13/2002 05:28 PM

Hi vtkUsers,

I have several bmp images which represent slices of the same volume.
I would like to create a vtkStructuredPoints with all these files, but
with the following code I obtain a 3D datasets of color data

vtkBMPReader reader
    reader SetDataByteOrderToLittleEndian;
    reader SetFileDimensionality 2;
    reader SetNumberOfScalarComponents 1;
    reader SetFilePrefix $filePrefix;
    reader SetFilePattern $filePattern
    reader SetFileNameSliceOffset 1
    reader SetDataExtent 0 $xSize 0 $ySize 0 $zSize
    reader SetDataSpacing $pixelWidth $pixelHeight $pixelDepth
    reader Update

vtkImageExtractComponents extract
    extract SetInput [reader GetOutput]
    extract SetComponents 1

vtkImageToStructuredPoints i2sp
    i2sp SetInput [extract GetOutput]

vtkStructuredPointsWriter writer
    writer SetInput [i2sp GetOutput]
    writer SetFileName $outputFileName
    writer SetFileTypeToBinary
    writer Update

I thaught maybe the vtkImageExtractComponents would b enough.
But at the end the header of my file contains

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
BINARY
DATASET STRUCTURED_POINTS