[vtkusers] multiple renderers performance

Nicolae Mihalache mache at abcpages.com
Wed Nov 13 07:31:04 EST 2002

Hello!

I'm new to vtk and I'm tring to improve the performance of some
application :(
I'm using vtk 3.2 + tcl and the performance problems I observe are
related with having multiple renderers each with its own window.
In short, what the program does is set some camera parameters and then
call "renderX Render" where X is 1,2 or 3. If I call this function many
times for the same renderer, the call takes about 0.07 seconds. But each
time the renderer is changed, the call takes almost 3 seconds :(
I tried to run this part of the application in vtk 4.0 but the
performance seems to be the same.
Any ideea how to improve it? Is it a limitation of the opengl
implementation or vtk? I use a nvidia card on linux with nvidia drivers.

The two renderers render in fact the same scene with the same actors but
from different angles.
Other ways to implement it?

Thanks,
Nicolae Mihalache