[vtkusers] using the vtkRenderWidget.py on Windows

Sherwood, P (Paul) P.Sherwood at dl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 19:43:30 EST 2002

Hi All,

I am trying to move a python vtk application from Irix
to windows 2000.

I use the vtkTkRenderWidget and this seems to be trying to
load something called vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets

here is the result:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\ps96port\Desktop\gui\ccp1gui\testvtk.py",
line 2, in ?
    VtkGraph(None).mainloop()
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\ps96port\Desktop\gui\ccp1gui\vtkgraph.py",
line 27, in __init__
    self.pane = vtkTkRenderWidget(self)
  File "c:\Program files\vtk40\Wrapping\Python\vtkTkRenderWidget.py", line
65, in __init__
    vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets(master.tk)
  File "c:\Program files\vtk40\Wrapping\Python\vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.py",
line 59, in vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets
    interp.call('load', filename)
TclError: couldn't load library "vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll": this
library or a dependent library could not be found in library path

I dont have a vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll but I do a corresponding
.lib file. I am a real novice on Windows and I don't know what a .lib
file does, however I tried adding its location (c:\\Program
Files\\vtk40\\lib\\vtk) to my PYTHONPATH but this didn't help. On irix the
corresponding file is a .so file and it is in the bin directory.

I got my installation of the kitware CD that comes with the user
guide. I can run the examples like Cone.py, which don't use
the vtkTkRenderWidget.

many thanks for any pointers,

Paul Sherwood