[vtkusers] Can VTK_QT render volumes?

Alex Lear alear at cns.montana.edu
Fri Nov 1 09:55:42 EST 2002

Hello,
I have been able to render a volume but it doesn't really show up.  When I
move the volume in 3D (rotate, zoom, etc.) it flickers and I can see the
volume but it disappears.  I have reduced the code to a small section
included below that produces a solid cube volume and I have posted a
screenshot of the renderwindow here:
http://www.attackforums.com/Sample_Volume_Render.jpg

Also, I have a dual P4 computer running Redhat 7.2 with an nVidia Quadro2
graphics card.  The openGL driver is installed.  Could this be graphics card
related?

Any ideas of why it doesn't show up are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Alex Lear

BEGINNING OF CODE

//******************************************************************************************
int i;

vtkStructuredPoints *sPoints = vtkStructuredPoints::New();
sPoints->SetDimensions(100,100,100);

vtkFloatArray *Scalars = vtkFloatArray::New();
for (i=0;i<1000000;i++)
      {
     Scalars->InsertNextValue(1.0);
      }
sPoints->GetPointData()->SetScalars(Scalars);
Scalars->Delete();

vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction *densitycompositeFunction =
vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction::New();

vtkVolumeRayCastMapper *densityvolumeMapper = vtkVolumeRayCastMapper::New();
    densityvolumeMapper->SetInput(sPoints);
    densityvolumeMapper->SetVolumeRayCastFunction(densitycompositeFunction);

vtkVolume *densityvolume = vtkVolume::New();
    densityvolume->SetMapper(densityvolumeMapper);

ren1->AddVolume(densityvolume);
//Render
RenderWidget1->GetRenderWindow1()->Render();

END OF CODE