[vtkusers] Hybrid Build Returning Errors

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu May 2 11:56:17 EDT 2002

    DG> On Win32, the PATH that a DLL uses to load other DLLs includes
    DG> the directory where that DLL is located.  So having all the
    DG> Python DLLs in the same directory is enough to ensure that
    DG> they can load each other.

Ok, but the Python22\Lib\site-packages\VTK is not on PATH (though it
is in PYTHONPATH).  I'm not sure if PYTHONPATH translates to PATH.  Or
are you saying that the the current directory is always in the path
and when Python loads the module, the DLLS on the same directory are
found correctly?

    DG> The dependency of the libvtk*Python.so's need only be back to
    DG> libvtkCommonPython.so, because the vtkPythonUtils class (that
    DG> contains some C++ methods used by all the modules) is stored
    DG> in there.  It might be possible to force dynamic linkage of
    DG> these methods at run-time using Python's own low-level dynamic

Please, if you can do this then it should be very easy to write a
setup.py that installs the right packages in the right places without
the need for either linking libraries here and there or editing
/etc/ld.so.conf.  It would be very nice if this were possible.

Thanks,
prabhu