[vtkusers] Collision Detection in VTK

Rasmus Reinhold Paulsen rrp at imm.dtu.dk
Wed Mar 27 06:34:12 EST 2002

> Here in CINECA we wrapped the VCollide library (which menages
> collision detection between
> surfaces of triangles) into a VTK filter: it takes as input many
> polydatas (preprocessed with a
> triangle filter) and produces in output either a the same
> polydatas with scalars set in the
> colliding triangles or simply the list of colliding inputs and
> triangles.  It was working under
> VTK 3.2/3.3 and now is being tested under 4.0. The biggest
> problem is I'm not sure the VCollide
> can be freely redistributed...
> This class is probably going to be part of the Multimod project
> (www.ior.it/multimod), if
> possible I'll make everything public available on our web site:
> the other author, Paolo
> Quadrani, already agreed about it, but I must listen to the
> project manager.
>
> Marco

That sounds very good. Is it the
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~geom/collide/packages.html#VCOLLIDE package? As far
as I can see this  package build on top of RAPID which is an OBBTree based
collision detection algorithm. Are you using the OBBTree allready
implemented in VTK?

I am not sure about redistribution. If you make an independent
implementation based on a published article, there should be no problems...?
If you wrap the UNC code I believe there can be some problems.

Thanks for the feedback
Rasmus