[vtkusers] vtk on CBuilder 5

Gary L. Graf glgraf at asu.edu
Thu Mar 21 13:12:40 EST 2002

Hi,  I just started a project where I will use vtk in a C++ environment
and selected Borland's CBuilder 5 as the IDE.  I have not worked in C++
for several years (yea Java) and selected BCB5 since I was familiar with
the JBuilder IDE and liked it.  The basic problem I am having is trying
to get vtk to compile and link with BCB5 (not using CMake).  In trying
to run the Cone2.cxx example, it seems to start out OK but I get an
error "[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Expected a file name:" which bombs
the process.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out what the linker is
looking for.  Is there anyone out there who can help, and if possible,
is there anyone out there who would be willing to answer a few question
off-line is necessary so I can get up and running?

In a related question, why does vtk use .cxx for everything.  Both VS
and BCB don't automatically recognize it as a standard C++ type and all
the file and text loading functions must be run as "All files".  BCB
doesn't even want to display in in the text editor (unless I am doing
something wrong).  Would any problems result if I changed them to .cpp?

Thanks - Gary