[vtkusers] Visualization of large polydata sets by specifying level of detail ?

Roland Schwarz roland.schwarz at chello.at
Thu Mar 21 04:54:29 EST 2002

After having read 'The Visualization Toolkit' and got somewhat familiar with
VTK toolkit on Windows MFC platform, the follwong question arised:

I basically have a very large polyvertex dataset that is the output from a
scanning process. The dataset is made of points from the surface of objects.
The points are noisy.

I intend to create a mesh (using vtkDelaunay2D) from the points before
further processing. (This worked ok.)
Some experiments however have shown that the most costly part seems to be in
the rendering stage. Rendering is slow, presumedly because I display too
much detail.

Is there some support in VTK to speed up rendering by skipping unnecessary
detail?
Or is the only way to get fast visualization to first smooth the datapoints
and then reduce the size of the mesh?
(This would obviously destroy information that is in the original data.)

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks
Roland