[vtkusers] what about speed? delaunay, decimate and QuadricClustering

Sébastien MARAUX smaraux at caramail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:30:11 EST 2002

Hello,

I want to triangulate a DEM with a file size of 4000 x 4700
(18 Million points with half of them having a value -> 9
millions points to handle)

I am using a PIII 800 with 512 Mo SDRAM.

I expect a speed of about 10 000 triangles / sec for this
part, is it OK ? (-> 15 minutes for this operation)

I also want to reduce the number of triangles issued of
this DEM to about 10 000 or 100 000, using Decimate or
QuadricClustering functions.

What time would it take to reduce 9 million triangles to
10 or 100 thousands keeping a fairly good visual quality?

I hope to achieve this operation in one night max, will it
be possible ?

Sebastien MARAUX, total newbie in VTK functions exploration
and use.