[vtkusers] Mesa SetOffScreenRendering; no X

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 18 17:16:01 EST 2002

I've built VTK (4.0) on a Linux box with no xdm running.  I've built it with
Mesa and the OSMesa (offscreen) libs.  Can I expect to have a script with
vtkMesaImageWindow/SetOffScreenRendering run OK?  I know, for example, that I
can run the Mesa 'osdemo' and it produces an image file.

Related to this, is there some cmake option that generates a
/Rendering/Makefile with the vtkMesa* classes explicitly listed?  In my
CMakeCache.txt, I set:

MESA_OS_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=<.../libOSMesa.so>
OPENGL_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH=<.../Mesa-4.0.1/include>
OPENGL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=<.../Mesa-4.0.1/lib/libGL.so>
OSMESA_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH=<.../Mesa-4.0.1/include>
VTK_MANGLE_MESA:BOOL=OFF
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA:BOOL=ON

However, my /Rendering/Makefile has, e.g.:

vtkRendering_SRC_OBJS = \
vtkRenderWindow.o \

instead of:
vtkMesaRenderWindow.o \

The symptom is that when I try to run a 1-line dummy.tcl script containing
just:
package require vtk

merc1 443% vtk dummy.tcl
X connection to merc1:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

thanks,
--Randy