[vtkusers] time stamps and object lifetimes?

Chris Myers myers at tc.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 15 10:15:23 EST 2002

Given that VTK objects maintain time stamps, and that pipeline
execution involves queries to those time stamps, I'm curious whether
it would be very difficult to instrument VTK (in general), or specific
VTK applications (in particular), to generate a log of all created VTK
objects and their lifetimes during the execution of an application.

It would appear that alot of objects get created and destroyed under
the covers during a VTK application, so I don't know if instrumenting
an application at the user level is going to give me all the
information that I'm looking for.  I'm imagining instead something
like a modification to VTKTimeStamp or some other object that would
log all relevant data.

Any insight or direction regarding this would be appreciated.

Chris

Chris Myers
Cornell Theory Center
636 Rhodes Hall              email: myers at tc.cornell.edu
Cornell University           phone: (607) 255-5894 / fax: (607) 254-8888
Ithaca, NY 14853             http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~myers