[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataNormals for smooth shading ????

Manoj manojbkumar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 14 02:08:58 EST 2002

Hi to all,

  I created the polygon data using Marching cube algorithm(not using vtkMarchingCube) and decimated it using vtk library class vtkDecimatePro.That decimated output is displayed in a MFC window using OpenGL API calls.It is ok.But i want to apply smooth shading effect to the 3D object.I don't know which is the shading initally .For smooth shading,i used vtkPolyDataNormals.
Then i got extra points than the input.I don't know which is the relation between the input of vtkPolyDataNormals and the new created normal points of vtkPolyDataNormals.Is sufficeient for implementing smooth shading ??.The normal existing for each triangle or each vertices ??

Thanks for any input,

Manoj