[vtkusers] Problem with VTK and wxPython under Win32

David C. Morrill dmorrill at enthought.com
Tue Mar 5 16:15:16 EST 2002

> I almost always build VTK RelWithDebInfo and use non-debug builds of
> everything else.  It means that it's only possible to see the debug
> symbols in the VTK parts of the code, but that is sufficient for
> most of my debugging purposes and is a lot easier than trying to
> build debug versions of everything.

That sounds good to me. Especially since I've been having no luck building a
wxWindows/wxPython combination with debug info.

However, I'm not sure I understand how to get CMake to do what you suggest.
I've been using the CMakeSetup GUI to create Visual C++ project files.
Yesterday I built a regular debug version of VTK that required using
python_d. Based on your above comment, I've been trying to build a VTK
version with debug info, but which uses the normal python.exe. But I'm not
having any success.

I set the CMake option 'PYTHON_DEBUG_LIBRARY' to point to 'python21.lib'
instead of 'python21_d.lib'. Visual C++ runs for a while compiling, then
fails in a link step claiming it can't find 'python21_d.lib'. None of the
project files seem to reference it directly though.

I assume I'm probably changing the wrong thing. But what is the right way to
do it? Any suggestions?

Dave Morrill