[vtkusers] Problem with VTK and wxPython under Win32

David C. Morrill dmorrill at enthought.com
Tue Mar 5 13:30:04 EST 2002

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad) using a VTK window in a wxPython app under Win32 (XP or 2000)?

I've taken a previously working VTK/wxPython app that imbeds a VTK window inside a wxFrame and modified it so that the VTK widget is imbedded within a wxBoxSizer within a wxNotebook page within a wxSplitterWindow within a wxFrame (more or less :-), and am now getting strange results and crashes.

For example, if I open/close the same visualization over and over, it may blow up on the 10th viewing. Or some of the actors on a subsequent display of the visualization may not be visible until the app calls SetRepresentationToWireframe/SetRepresentationToSurface.

I'm using VTK 4.0 and wxPython 2.3.2.1 and have experienced the problem both under Windows XP and Windows 2000.

I can post more of the details, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had some similar experiences first.

I'm currently trying to build a debug version of VTK and wxPython to get more details about the problem.

Dave Morrill