[vtkusers] Performance with NVidia GForce

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Jun 5 13:04:37 EDT 2002

Hello Alex,

I would not use GoFly to evaluate performance. The version available on the
web is fairly old (before many performance improvements were made to VTK)
and is not focused on high performance visualization of a small number of
models with a large number of polygons but rather a large number of models
with a small number of polygons in each.

There is a sphere benchmark test (http://www.barre.nom.fr/vtk/bench.html)
but I am not sure if that is up-to-date any more. We have run performance
evaluations and have found VTK's performance with one actor with a large
number of polygons to be comparable to raw OpenGL. If you create many
separate actors/mappers, the performance obviously degrades due to overhead
and state changes.

Lisa