[vtkusers] Picking / Chemistry

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 7 11:30:32 EST 2002

On Jan 7,  2:51pm, Paul Sherwood wrote:
> Subject: [vtkusers] Picking / Chemistry
> All,
>
> Can anyone point me to some examples (preferably in Python) of
> the use of picking to interact with the visualised objects. Is
> there a way to use anything like the rectangular selection box
> use in drawing programs & powerpoint to select/pick a range of
> objects at once?
>
> Another unrelated question ..
>
> I would be interested to hear of any projects that implement
> chemical visualisation using Python/Vtk, especially if any of the
> software concerned is freely available.

Here are some non-VTK Python-based chem vis pkgs that I had bookmarked:

http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner/python/
http://starship.python.net/~hinsen/MMTK/
http://www.openchem.org/

and non-Python:

http://www.umass.edu/microbio/rasmol/
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/  (with Python controls apparently)
http://www.uku.fi/~thassine/ghemical/

It would help to know what kind of functionality you'd like to have and whether
the breadth of VTK is really required (though I personally would always look to
VTK first :).  I'd be curious to hear what you end up doing in the future.

You can also go to VTK's search site ( http://www.kitware.com/search.html ) and
type in e.g. 'atoms' to see some discussions, e.g.
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2000-April/000527.html

--Randy