[vtkusers] Rookie 3d advice/opinion

David Pont david_pont at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:58:02 EST 2002

Hi Alex,
  I mean it could be inefficient to create lots of polylines consisting of
just one line segment (two points). In pratice I do not know what the impact
is, but perhaps you have some more information about the points that would
allow you to connect groups of points into polylines of multiple segments.
This should reduce the total number of polylines and thus any associated
overhead.

For faster interaction you might want to try sending the polylines directly
to a PolyDataMapper as an alternative to the tubes which get quite heavy
(lots of polygons). Also look at using less faces on your tubes for better
interaction. You could make these 3 options available: naked polylines only,
tubes with say 5 faces, tubes with say 16 faces. In all cases there may be
gains to be made by having fewer, longer polylines.

  regards
       Dave Pont