[vtkusers] Tcl/Tk in Quartz MacOSX

William A. Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Apr 25 07:45:43 EDT 2002

The current state of VTK on MacOSX is somewhat incomplete.  The basic VTK
classes compile with tcl
wrapping, and you can create renderwindows, but that is about it.

Here is a list of things not done:

1. tcl/TK interaction does not work.   The Quartz stuff in VTK is based on
the newer Coco, but TK is based on the older Coco.   I am not sure it is
possible to mix the two.
However, it may not be that hard to write a Coco based renderwindow for VTK.

2. The text mapper has not been implemented.

I would be willing to help someone write the coco based renderwindow or
perhaps someone
with more knowledge of Coco and Carbon could have a look and see if the two
can be mixed.
I do not think anyone has done Java or Python for MacOSX yet.

So, VTK is only really about 80% done on MacOSX.