[vtkusers] Shrinkwrap surface possible?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Apr 24 13:04:31 EDT 2002

Hi Steve-

>What I would like to do is generate a surface that 'shrink wraps' the
>sponge.  The surface would have the basic shape of the sponge, but
>stretches across the surface holes.  Does somebody have an idea of how I
>could generate such a surface?

There are two options:

1) Use vtkHull. It will create a convex hull of the input given a set of
initial planes the it "pushes" in until they touch the input.. The input
must be of type vtkPolyData. By default vtkHull uses six planes (the faces
of a cube), but you can add vertex and edge planes to get a total of 26
planes. If you want you can manually add planes. vtkHull is quite fast.

2) Use vtkDelaunay3D which will produce a convex hull. Then use
vtkGeometryFilter to extract the surface of the convex hull.

Will

William J. Schroeder, Ph.D.
Kitware, Inc.
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway