[vtkusers] More on mac os x installation

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Wed Apr 17 04:26:10 EDT 2002

Hi Mike,

There are two ways to build VTK on Mac OS X. You can choose to build for
X11 or Quartz.
In your current configuration you seem to get the settings for either
mixed up.
If you want to get VTK to run under Quartz then make sure the following
are set:
---
OPENGL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=-framework AppKit -framework OpenGL
VTK_USE_QUARTZ:BOOL=ON
VTK_USE_RENDERING:BOOL=ON
VTK_USE_X:BOOL=OFF
---
and leave the rest of the system settings as it was determined by CMake
(you can leave the X_FLAGS and X_LIBS as they are).

On the other hand if you want to build VTK to Use X11 under Mac OS X you
need to do some minor patching.
Please take a look at an e-mail I send some time ago:
---
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2002-February/009772.html
---
In this e-mail I described what to do to get a proper build.
Unfortunately this patch hasn't been added to the cvs repository yet. (I
hope Yves Starreveld will find some time to do this).

After applying the patch set the following in the CMakeCache.txt file:
---
OPENGL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a (i.e. leave the option as
it was determined by CMake)
VTK_USE_QUARTZ:BOOL=OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING:BOOL=ON
VTK_USE_X:BOOL=ON
---

If you need more help, just drop me an e-mail.

Regards,
Sander