[vtkusers] Representing Points in 3D

Roland Schwarz roland.schwarz at chello.at
Thu Apr 4 00:28:12 EST 2002

Hi Christof,

Points are best represented by a vtkPolyData object that has exacatly one
cell of type VTK_VERTEX. This Vertex Cell is simply a list of Id's that are
indices to your data.

You should read about writing a reader class. I recommend to derive from
class vtkPolyDataSource then.
I.e.:
class VTK_IO_EXPORT vtkMyReader : public vtkPolyDataSource
{
.... your class definitions
}

This reader will become the starting point of your pipeline. You will then
connect this reader to a mapper and so  on.

Tip.: Have a look on the available reader classes in the library to see how
it is done.

Roland