[vtkusers] (renamed->) data mining, statistics

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon May 21 12:40:45 EDT 2001

On May 18,  3:14pm, Redoine Tahiri wrote:
> Subject: RE: [vtkusers] python + vtkTkRenderWidget + threading == X restar
>
> Hello every one,
>
> I m new user and develloper of VTK.
> I would like to know if we can use the VTK in order
> to visualize data mining and statistical results.
> If yes, there is any examples around???

VTK is a general-purpose vis package.  So, yes, it can be used to vis *results*
of data mining and statistics.  Now, if you're asking if VTK *performs* data
mining and stats, the answer is mostly no (though you could do something with
vtkMath, I guess).  Regarding examples, well, I can say that I've used MATLAB
for a data-mining-like algorithm and then vis'd results using VTK:

   http://visbench.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Analysis/

But again, VTK could have cared less how the data was generated.

I'm interested in the topic of (scientific) data mining/stats, so if others
find novel ways of incorporating VTK, pls let me know.

--Randy