[vtkusers] fast polygonalization of volume based objects

Lothar Mausz lmausz at gmx.at
Fri Jun 22 08:35:05 EDT 2001

Hello,

I implemented two simple volume based filters in vtk for simulating soft
deformable tissue in realtime.
There is still a lot of work to do, I would be deeply grateful for any help.

Now, I want to poligonalize the results in realtime,
currently I extract the geometry with vtkContourGrid, afterwards I use
vtkDecimate and vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter.

The whole update of the pipline from vtkContourGrid is to slow for realtime.
I want to polygonalize only moved surface voxels after each deformation
step.

I could memorize the surface voxels from preprocessing (first
polygonalisation).
The deformation filters provide moved voxels lists.

Is this functionality already implemented in any geometry filter, or what
would be a good starting point.

Thanks for any help, Lothar.