[vtkusers] VTK Builds on Cygwin

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Fri Jan 26 15:06:15 EST 2001

At 26/01/2001 14:42, William A. Hoffman wrote:

>I mean gcc compiler.   If you add the flags -mno-cygwin to the build,
>it will use the native Microsoft libraries and not cygwin.dll,

So it does mean that we can get rid of the good ol' pcmaker now ? :)

>so no GPL problems.

What were the GPL problems ?

>   I have only tried the c++ part, but Mumit did the tcl build.

OK. That's very interesting. Good news.
I'm a bit skeptical about Python and Java. Porting to Cygwin is not a
trivial task (I helped porting Perl 5 to Cygwin), and I'm not aware of
Python or Java ports to this specific environment (although I did not
search very thoroughly :)).

I would be curious to know about some comparisons between both native- and
Cygwin- generated DLL's. Did you run the regression tests with the Cygwin
build ? Could Mumit run the Sphere Benchmark with both ? What is the size
of the build/dll ? I love gcc, but it's much slower than MSVC++, did you
notice how much slower it was on a whole build ?

Thanks :)