[vtkusers] Re: VTK on a DUAL Processor board

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Fri Jan 19 09:25:34 EST 2001

Hi Peter,

(Nice system -- see below!)

One of the joys of having multiple CPUs in your system,
even without threading your more intensive ops, is that
the operating system and other executing apps can run on
their own chip.  This keeps housekeeping matters out of
the way of our wery waluable SciViz activities.

However, as far as improving performance for a single
executing application, a number of issues come to mind.
The two most basic are:

 1. high-speed rendering of an existing dataset;
 2. iterative generation and rendering of data.

OpenGL drivers for some graphics cards can exploit multiple
CPUs.  This automatically boosts the final stage of the Vtk
pipeline -- mapping your organized data to hardware.

More interesting is when your application is a simulation,
where significant time slices are spent preparing a dataset
for display.  By simply offloading the "generation" phase
to a worker thread, the GUI can remain responsive even on
a modest dual-300MHz box.  Here is where multiple chips can
mean the difference between an application that merely "runs",
and a killerApp that users enjoy using.  Of course, some of
your time will be lost struggling with issues that arise
from synchronizing the multiple threads.  But that is time
well spent!

cheers,
Nigel

--- Peter [p.boettcher at anat.vetmed.uni-muenchen.de] wrote ---