[vtkusers] libvtkJava and libXt

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Jan 14 02:25:59 EST 2001

hi,

    Peter> Hi; I'm having problems with the vtkJava library. The test
    Peter> code I'm using is:

<snip>

    Peter> If I comment out the System.loadLibrary("Xt") then I get an
    Peter> unsatisfied link error from the virtual machine as follows:

    Peter> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
    Peter> /usr/local/vtk/lib/libvtkJava.so:
    Peter> /usr/local/vtk/lib/libvtkJava.so: undefined symbol:
    Peter> XtAppMainLoop at

This is very strange!  This is because, XtAppMainLoop is defined in
libXt.so (at least it is defined in my copy) and your libvtkJava.so is
dynamically linked to libXt.

$ strings /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0 |grep XtAppMainLoop
XtAppMainLoop
$

So, is your libXt corrupt?

<snip>
    Peter> Sorry about the verbosity of the outputs but too much is
    Peter> probably better than too little. My firtst question is that
    Peter> given that vtkJava is to be linked to Xt (ldd) then is the
    Peter> System.loadLibrary("Xt") statement necessary at all? And,
    Peter> if it is what is causing the SIGSEGV?

I dont think you need to load libXt again.  Could this be because
there is some problem with the order in which the libraries are
linked?

prabhu