[vtkusers] Can VTK use other GUI tools?

David D. Marshall gte552m at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 13 15:19:34 EST 2001

On Tuesday 13 February 2001 14:45, Sebastien BARRE wrote:
> At 13/02/2001 14:03, David D. Marshall wrote:
> >OK.  After making promises that I would do it, I have finally but up a
> > VERY rough web page with my updated wxVTKWindow class at
> >http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte552m/wxVTKWindow.html.  This is the same
> >version that I sent to Marco and have tested it on a variety of wx/vtk/OS
> >combinations (see webpage for details).  Any comments/questions are
> > welcome.
>
> Provided that set up all paths correctly and that you replace all instances
> of :
>
> #include "vtk/somevtkclass.h"
>
> by
>
> #include "somevtkclass.h"

I never know which way is standard :(.  I install vtk in
/usr/local/include/vtk (as I thought the rpms did?????).  Is there a
consensus as to which is the approved way?

> ....it will compile, but will still fail to link when plugged in your
> previous example.dsw archive, with various "unresolved reference" when
> linked again wx22_5 + Windows 2000. Puzzling.

I didn't have an example.dsw in my tar-ball, and I don't see where Brian Todd
had one either.  What are you refering to?  I have win2k and can try to see
what's the deal.  What are the unresolved references?

> Another question is : how does it compare with the wxVTkRenderWindow class
> provided with wxPython ? This python wrapup seems to work great, and is a
> childplay to install and use :)
I don't use python, and I wanted a C++ way to do it, and I needed things that
Brian Todd's classes didn't have (user input stuff).  I believe that they are
similar, but the mouse/keyboard stuff I believe is different (and it's been a
few months since I looked at the wxPython code).  I use the VTK interactor
architecture and I think that wxPython does it's own handling of
mouse/keyboard events.  So I can take advantage of the trackball and joystick
camera motion modes (and any other modes that are added later) without any
code changes (I believe) since all I do is redirect the mouse/keyboard events
to the VTK interactor (except for the 'q' key for a good reason that escapes
me right now :).  Also, someone mentioned that they got a lot of flickering
from wxPython with camera movement, and I don't get any (just with frame
resizes).

Hope this helps.