[vtkusers] PC install

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Feb 7 16:14:00 EST 2001

A couple notes on compiling VTK with Microsoft VC++:

The default MSVC++ install does not set tne environment
variables to add nmake.exe, cl.exe, link.exe etc. to the
PATH or to set the include or library paths.

To set up the environment variables, do a search for
VCVARS32.BAT on your computer and add it somewhere so that it
will be run before you compile VTK (either that or figure out
the proper names & values of the enviroment variables yourself
and set up the environment variables manually).

Also, make sure that you have installed the latest service
pack for MSVC5.0 or MSVC6.0 (whichever you are using).  The
service pack fix bugs in the compiler, if the service pack
is not installed then VTK will not compile.

 - David