[vtkusers] Surface registration of two data sets, arethere any vtk algorithms?

George Kamucha kamucha at hfm.e-technik.uni-kassel.de
Mon Feb 5 07:55:54 EST 2001

Hi Sebastien,

I would like first of all to thank you very much for implementing the ICP
class, that was just great! It was a sweet surprise to find it when I came back
from a long holiday a few days ago. However, I still seem to be in a fix,  for
the last two days,  I have been struggling to run the code with my data.
Unfortunately, I have not yet succeeded, partly because I don't have a lot of
experience in VTK which I am learning through a crash program. Would you mind
sending me the code you used in testing your data? I would really appreciate. I
have  especially failed to understand why the following implementation in the
program doesn't seem to work:

// read the first data set and call it mesh
  vtkPolyDataReader *mesh = vtkPolyDataReader::New();
      mesh->SetFileName ("../../../vtkdata/laser.vtk");

// read the second data set and call it target
  vtkPolyDataReader *target = vtkPolyDataReader::New();
      target->SetFileName ("../../../vtkdata/laser1.vtk");

vtksbIterativeClosestPointTransform *icp =
vtksbIterativeClosestPointTransform::New();
     icp->SetSource (mesh->GetOutput());
     icp->SetTarget (target->GetOutput());
     icp->SetMaximumNumberOfIterations (50);     ....................

I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards

George