[vtkusers] Wich version of mesa whith vtk3.2

John Washbourne jwashbourne at corelab.com
Wed Dec 19 10:21:15 EST 2001

DELAVEAU Muriel wrote:

> I try to install vtk3.2 on solaris 5.7
> I need to install mesa too.
> Which version of mesa is compatible with vtk3.2 ?
> Thanks by advance.

Muriel,

If you are installing on a sparc, you might consider (instead of
Mesa) picking up Sun's OpenGL libs at
http://www.sun.com/software/graphics/OpenGL/index.html. I am
pretty sure that Mesa supports the Creator3D (and newer) cards
in hardware, but I have to believe that Sun would do a better
job optimizing for Sun hardware (for the same issues as Sun's
optimization of BLAS and LAPACK). I have been using OpenGL 1.2
on my ultra60 with 2 Creator3Ds for some time and vtk 3.2 works
quite acceptably.

To be painfully truthful, any new <$200 PCI card beats the pants
off my expensive ($thousands) Creator3ds. One thing that might
be interesting is to get a new PCI card and see how that does on
a sparc.

Regards,

John