[vtkusers] vtkPLOT3DReader troubles

Kevin Wright krw at viz-solutions.com
Fri Aug 24 13:40:27 EDT 2001

> I am having trouble with vtkPLOT3DReader().
>
> I have looked at the source code for the reader, and as far as I can tell
> it does not take into account the bookends (or data record lengths) which
> fortran puts at the end of each unformatted write statement.  I use plot3d
> on a regular basis and my data files are organized as follows:

The format that you have for your files is Fortran Unformatted.  The format that the
Plot3DReader uses is straight Binary.  There is no way to get it to read fortran unformatted
without digging into the source code and making the changes yourself (I don't think).  I had to
hack together something quick to do it last year, and its really not that hard.  Just find the
execute routine and bracket all of the read commands with a read of a single integer on either
end.  I'm hoping to get some time to clean up what I did and send it into Kitware later this
year.

Kevin.