[vtkusers] VolumeRayCastMapper changes

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Aug 14 16:28:40 EDT 2001

Hello,

I am in the process of changing the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper, and I have a
question for the group - is anyone out there using the RayBounder? I know
Bill Lorensen uses it in several examples where volumes and surfaces are
intermixed. Is anyone else using it? If not, I would like to consider
removing this functionality from the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.

Here are the advantages to removing it:

1) This will make the different rendering strategies more interchangeable
(ray bounding is not supported for the vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D or the
vtkVolumeProMapper)

2) This will simplify the ray casting code

3) This will eliminate the problems that occur because the ray bounder
depends on OpenGL storing a Z value in the depth buffer and being able to
correctly read the depth buffer. Many PC video cards / drivers have
problems with at least one of those requirements and hence ray bounding
fails on those platforms.

Here are the disadvantages:

1) The functionality will no longer be there.

Obviously the advantages outweigh the disadvantages if no one is using the
ray bounder :-) so that is why I am gathering feedback now. Also, if the
only reason people are using the raybounder is to, for example, render only
in a sphere-of-interest that functionality can be replaced by something
other than the ray bounder.

Thanks!

Lisa