[vtkusers] Unable to run binary files wrap/*

Rene Tschirley pooh at lava.cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 25 12:55:12 EDT 2001

Dear VTK-experts,

I'm unable to compile VTK-3.2 on my Linux machine, because every
binary file generated in the wrap directory dies with an illegal
instruction error message. Compiling was no problem, not even a warning
(except that gcc mentioned the warning "gcc: -G: linker input file unused
since linking not done" when compiling vtkParse.tab.c, which can be
avoided by manually compiling without the options "-Wl,-G").

I do not have any idea where to search the problem. Gdb is able to
load all binaries, but not to run:

  (gdb) r
  Starting program: /usr/local/pakete/vtk3.2/wrap/vtkWrapTcl
  warning: Cannot insert breakpoint -1:
  Cannot access memory at address 0x7980

The problem occurs on a Debian/GNU Linux PC, running a 2.4.2 SMP-Kernel,
gcc 2.95.4, libc6 (glibc 2.2.2). On a Solaris 2.7 machine, all seems to
compile smoothly.

Does anybody have a clue?

Best regards,
     René

--
Dipl.-Inform. René Tschirley,              http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pooh
TU Berlin, Computer Graphics and Computer Assisted Medicine research group