[vtkusers] Cut plane through a 3D volume

John Wilson jpw at creare.com
Fri Apr 20 14:06:28 EDT 2001

Looking for some advice on the best way to display a cut plane through a 3D
volume.  From examining "The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide" and "The
Visualization Toolkit" books, I notice there are a number of different ways
this can be done (at least from my novice level of vtk understanding, these
all appear to be able to do this):

1. Use vtkImageReslice
2. Use 2 clipping planes to extract the slice of interest
3. Use vtkCutter
4. Use probing
5. Use vtkStructuredPointsGeometryFilter

Initially, I want to do this on 2 different sets of image data (I'll read in
a series of TIFF files to create the volume; one set is grayscale MR data,
another set is colored image slices).  Later, I'll be doing this on
segmented data.

I see there is a nice example of using vtkStructuredPointsGeometryFilter to
do what I'm after (at least for the image data) in chapter 13 of "The
Visualization Toolkit".  I have looked in the CD that comes with the book to
try to find this code, but can't locate it - does anyone know the file
names/locations?  Also, is there a Tcl version of this example (I'll be
developing in Tcl).

Many thanks for the help -

John Wilson