[vtkusers] picking problems/getting Point IDs

Malcolm Drummond geov at netactive.co.za
Wed Apr 4 16:44:36 EDT 2001

Hi Karin

For every input point, the entire source geometry (points and cells) is
transformed and copied to the glyph filter output - so it's quite common to
get large datasets from glyphing (especially with spheres). So the
point/cell id you're getting back is probably correct.

Getting the "original" ids back isn't too difficult. If you're not adjusting
the source while you build the glyphs you can just integer-divide by the
number of cells/points of the source dataset (depending on whether you use
cell/point picking). If you use a programmable glyph filter you can build a
lookup table to get glyph-id (ie input-point-id) from pick-id. Clear the
lookup-table in the StartMethod and add the lookup-table entries during the
GlyphMethod. The lookup-table means you can recover input ids even if you
messed with source-types and resolutions while building the glyphs.

Malcolm