Which graphics card to buy?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Mar 30 11:41:20 EST 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Sebastien Barre wrote:

> At 10:59 30/03/00 -0500, David Gobbi a écrit:
> >
> >The Erazor X only seems to have about 1/4 the geometry speed of our
> >SGI 320, but that might be a result of the drivers.  The Quadro should
> >be much better.  The Erazor X (and Quadra) have easily 4X the texture
> >speed of the 320, so it is a much better choice for texture-accelerated
> >volume rendering.
>
> Jesus, I've missed something there. The data we've been submitted reflect
> the opposite, the 320 being 3 times faster than a GeForce :
> http://www-sop.inria.fr/caiman/personnel/Robert.Riviere/vtk/sphere-bench/res
> ults.php3?famille=W&flats=1&strip=1&txt=1&txtp=1

You did miss something... I just said that the Erazor X does
geometry at only 0.25 times the speed of the 320, and you said the
320 is 3 times as fast as the Erazor X.  We aren't far off from each
other.  I guess that I should have gone metric in the first place and said
0.25 instead of 1/4.  Must be my Anglo-Saxon heritage.

  - David

"info vtkusers" to the same address.