dificulties running vtk from nightly rpms in Mandrake 7.0

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Mon Mar 20 19:28:05 EST 2000

Hi Jose,

I haven't ever tried using the VTK RPMs, but usually when the libraries
are there but the run-time linker says there not, all you have to do
to fix the problem is run '/sbin/ldconfig' as root.

If this doesn't work, then /usr/local/lib probably isn't in your
/etc/ld.so.conf file.  You can add it yourself as root with your
favorite text editor.  It would be nice if the VTK RPMs checked
for this automatically... I hope that they run /sbin/ldconfig
automatically at the very least.

Just to share my opinion on the issue, I don't like it when RPMS
install things in /usr/local... I want /usr/local to be for programs
that I build myself, and have RPMs confine themselves to /usr.  Just
my opinion, though.  Even worse, on many computer networks /usr/local
is a network drive, not a local drive, and having RPMS try to install
there really screws things up.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group