Problem with VTK + Visual C++ under win98

Dimitris Agrafiotis d.agrafiotis at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 07:00:52 EST 2000

Dear All

I have written a program using visual c++ and following the
view-document architecture , with which you can visualize
volume datasets using the marching cubes algorithm.(similar to the
sample program given with the cd of the book "The visualization
Toolkit").  The pipeline is straightforward read->marching
cubes->polydata mapper. The program works with no problem under Windows
NT (no problems at all) but under win98 or win95 I have the following
problem:

When the pipeline is executed and  rendering of the produced polygons
is supposed to take place, under win98, the process of rendering lasts
for a very short time and the window (view) shows nothing, as if
zero polygons were sent to the graphics card. Other times the image is
rendered but I can't interact with it (vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor)
and again if I maximize the window or generally change the size of it
the image is not rendered.

The Windows NT computer is a Pentium III / 500 MHz with 128 MB memory
and an ATI 3D Rage Pro Agp 2x with 8MB. The Windows 98 computer is
a Pentium III / 450 MHz with 128 MB memory and a Diamond Viper 770 AGP
2X with 32 MB. The things I have already tried are :

I have tried all kinds of different drivers for the Viper card (now
using the NVIDIA 3.68 driver). I have tried the program under win95 and
using a different machine and graphics card to make sure that it wasn't
a motherboard problem  or graphics card problem. (I had the same
behavior).Now I am thinking of changing to Windows NT with all PC's
involved.

If somebody knows anything about the above problem or has any
suggestions please let me know.

Dimitris Agrafiotis
University of Bristol
Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Merchant Venturers Building
Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1UB, UK
Phone:  (+ 44 117) 9545194
E-mail: d.agrafiotis at bristol.ac.uk