vtk + Visual Studio 6 + Diamond Viper 770

Brian Alexander Todd bat5 at po.cwru.edu
Sun Mar 19 15:14:59 EST 2000

Paul,

I had similar problems but with the dll for a Diamond Stealth
III card.  Someone on this list informed me that diamond's drivers
were notoriously flakey, so I ran the same program after booting nt
in vga mode.  This did away with the problem, so I guess diamond is
to blame.

I emailed them and they suggested that I try the reference drives
(S3 for my card).  You might search out reference drivers or at
least the latest version.  I still had problems with the S3 drivers
and switched over to Linux development which is going smoothly.

Brian Todd

At 04:11 AM 3/18/00 GMT, Paul Fossey wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am using Visual Studio version 6.0 (Visual C++) to develop my 3D
>visualization interface.
>
>I recently upgraded my 3D accelerator to
>a Diamond Viper 770 ultra.
>(This uses the Riva TNT chipset).
>
>The application runs fine outside of visual studio.
>
>When I attempt to use the Visual Studio debugger,
>the program crashes with an illeagal instruction exception
>in VPROGL.DLL. (This is Diamond's OpenGL wrapper library).
>
>The exception happens as soon as the vtk window is initialized.
>
>SYSTEM INFO:
>Pentium III 500 Mhz. , 128MB Ram
>Windows 98
>
>Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>And if so, how to I get past it?
>
>Thanks,
>Paul L. Fossey
>PKF Systems.