Jpeg Encoder in VTK?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Mar 9 11:59:54 EST 2000

Hi Bill,

I know that some TIFF images use LWZ, but I wasn't aware that
JPEG had any patended algorithms...

More image writer classes would certainly be useful, though...
someone could put together a repository for them to keep them
from contaminating the main VTK code base.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> There are some issues with using libtiff and libjpeg.
> Both of these libraries use patented algorithms which might
> be troublesome for commercial products based on VTK.
>

> At 11:36 AM 3/9/00 -0500, David Gobbi wrote:
> >Hi Julian, Sebastien,
> >
> >I think that a more conservative approach might be better,
> >i.e. write a vtkJPEGWriter class that uses libjpeg.  That
> >will a) guarantee compliance with the JPEG standard and
> >b) be a lot easier than re-writing the JPEG code.
> >
> >A jpeg CODEC would also be nice, but in my opinion it should
> >be separate from the JPEG writer.
> >
> >The current vtkTIFFWriter should also be replaced one of these
> >days... it doesn't even support the baseline TIFF standard!  It
> >would be nice if there was a compile-time options to use libtiff.
> >
> >Just to reiterate, any VTK image readers/writers for non-trivial
> >file formats should be based on existing standard libraries
> >e.g. libtiff, libjpeg, libpng, libnetcdf, etc.
> >
> >  - David
> >
> >--

"info vtkusers" to the same address.