news group

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Mar 1 14:02:25 EST 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Vetle Roeim wrote:

> on 2000-02-23, owner-vtkusers at public.kitware.com wrote:
>
> > I have had several requests for a vtk newsgroup in addition to the
> > mailing list.   I am not sure how to set one up.  However,
> > it looks like someone in Leuven Belgium was doing something like a
> > news group, but I think it is broken.
>
> alternativly we could move the whole thing to
> comp.graphics.visualization. there's not much activity there anyway..
>
> (btw; the python community has a mailinglist that mirrors the newsgroup
> (comp.lang.py), and vice versa)
>
> I think a vtk newsgroup is *very* good idea.
>
> vr

If a newsgroup is created for VTK, the name of it should be
"comp.graphics.api.vtk", to match the existing .api.inventor,
.api.opengl, and .api.misc groups.

Having a searchable, threaded mailing list archive might be better
than a newsgroup, though.  Is anyone interested in maintaining one?
Either that, or someone could determine exactly what is involved
in getting some VTK pages set up at sourceforge.net -- they provide
mail-list archiving and several other services.

 - David

"info vtkusers" to the same address.