[vtkusers] efficiency

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Jun 29 10:52:12 EDT 2000

Hello Jim,

I have been tuning the texture mapper a bit, and I still have some more
tweaking to go. What is likely to improve is the rendering speed for
relatively small volumes that don't use shading or gradient magnitude
opacity transfer functions (that is because each of those require an extra
lookup). The rendering performance of large volumes is not likely to
improve in the near future. I don't think the bottleneck is OO structures
or timing the rendering process - I believe it is more that we have not
tuned it to a particular graphics card, and we have not limited the
functionality. I am sure that better performance can be obtained if you
know in advance that you won't do shading / gradient opacity, you know that
your volume is a power of two, you are willing to store 3 copies of your
volume in RGBA, you know the "right" settings for your card to make it work
well, etc.

If anyone out there has some generic suggestions on how to improve the 2D
texture mapper, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Lisa