[vtkusers] nvidia GeForce/GeForce2 cards with RedHat 6.2and vtk

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 26 19:20:08 EDT 2000

There seems to be a little confusion here.  The 320 VW and 540 VW are based on Cobalt which is
SGI's proprietary graphics technology.  The graphics is tightly coupled to the main memory
subsystem of the machine so you can do cool things like use 1Gig of RAM for texture memory.
The new SGI Visual Workstations (the 230 330 and 550) use an NVidia Quadro based graphics
board which is hosted on AGP4x.  SGI seems to have abandoned Cobalt which is a shame, but PC
graphics is very cost-sensitive.  So bandwidth between main memory and the board is actually a
bit lower on these new x30 based workstations than the x20's).

I have seen SGI 320's and 540's running Linux/OpenGL1.2 many times at graphics conferences.
In fact, SGI's release of performer for Linux pretty much requires OpenGL1.2.  Optimized
OpenGL1.2 for Linux *is* bundled with the new 230,330 and 550 workstations, but I've had a
difficult time figuring out how the hell you download implementation of OpenGL to run on the
older 320's and 540's.  The best info I can find is at
    http://www.sgi.com/software/performer/linux-faq.html#6
    http://www.sgi.com/software/performer/

Another guy here at NERSC (Wes Bethel) has been running XF86 4.0 with a GEForce board
(XF86_SVGA w/nv driver) and it rocks!  There are a few lock-ups here and there, but
performance is great... especially if you use vertex arrays (any plans for the VTK Renderer to
use vertex arrays soon)?

-john