[vtkusers] Problems with VTK Java for linux

bdcr bdcr at jch.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 20 00:00:07 EDT 2000

Hi,

I have compiled a VTK nightly  with the following config options:

./configure  --with-mesa --with-shared --with-tcl
--with-patented --with-contrib --with-java --with-tkwidget --with-x --with-pthreads

I followed the procedure and setup on:
http://cgi.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/heiland/vtk/

Which enabled me to compile vtk, I ran make install. I had to put the libVTK*
and libvtk* libraries in /usr/lib from /usr/local/lib as javac did not know
where libvtk was.

I set the class path to /usr/jdk1.1.2/class (this is where all the vtk classes
are).
I then went to run the program for the sphere.java on
http://cgi.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/heiland/vtk/, but to no luck... It compiles
fine, but crashes when trys to run (not even getting a window up), with
following messages:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/libvtkJava.so:
  /usr/lib/libVTKCommonJava.so:
  undefined symbol:	Stereo__23vtkPerspectiveTransformdd
    at  java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at  java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java,Compiled Code)
    at  java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java,Compiled Code)
    at  java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java, Compiled Code)
    at  java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java, Compiled Code)
    at  vtk.vtkPanel.<clinit>(vtkPanel.java:23)
    at  sphere.<init>(sphere.java, Compiled Code)
    at  sphere.main(sphere.java, Compiled Code)

Note it also gets messages of fonts not found, at start up.

Any help would be great...

Bradley Crouch